STG's Nights at the Neptune: A People's Theatre Joint
Supported by Seattle's Department of Neighborhoods
Seattle Theatre Group (STG), the non-profit arts organization programmers and managers of three historic Seattle theatres (Paramount, Moore and Neptune), is officially launching Nights at the Neptune: A People’s Theatre Joint, in June. The program, supported by the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, opens The Neptune Theatre in Seattle’s University District free of charge to artists and community organizations that have created a performance piece for presentation for a public art event.
STG’s Nights at the Neptune: A People’s Theatre Joint features 8 projects to be presented between June 25 & September 17, 2013. All events are offered at no charge to the public.
The selected performances represent art created and performed by some of the city’s most innovative artists and include comedy, new play work, dance theatre, film, cultural music, hip-hop and more.
Criteria for applicants included the following and the selected performances/presentations are representative of these areas of focus:
- Locality: presenting artists or organizations must be based in Seattle
- Artistic significance of project and/or emerging approach to the arts
- Capacity to complete presentation—selected applicants must be able to see the presentation through to completion
- Underserved access to facilities—participants will be drawn from traditionally underserved populations
- Ability to engage University District neighborhood, vicinity of The Neptune Theatre and Seattle region
- Inclusion of issues relating to race, social justice, youth, or marginalized populations are offered additional consideration
Selected by a group of local artists, arts managers, and community leaders, the Nights at the Neptune performances reflect a broad range of interests and artistic expressions. Giving voice to emerging projects, underserved populations, and exploring issues that include race and social justice, Nights at the Neptune is by the people and for the people!
We are pleased to announce the 2013 Nights at the Neptune performances:
June 25 - 8pm
Out & In: A Pride Comedy Showcase
July 18 - 7:30pm
Seattle Latino Film Festival Presents: A Tropical Night
July 23 - 7:30pm
The Platform Playwrights Festival
August 15 - 8pm
Ward of State
August 20 - 8pm
For Peace For Tibet
August 22 - 8pm
Rain City Rock Camp for Girls
September 17 - 7:30pm
Splinter Effect, a Diversity Dance Throwback
Many thanks to: