Education & Community Programs > Digital Education Programs
Seattle Theatre Group (STG) invites organizations to apply for our DIGITAL EDUCATION PROGRAM (DEP) around various shows in the season. Successful completion of our Digital Educational Programs include one free ticket to the related performance and access to a cast talkback. Limited tickets per organization are available.
STG invites your school or organization to apply for our newest Digital Education Program (DEP) called JOURNEY SO CLOSE, centered around the performance of The Actors' Gang - The New Colossus. Students who successfully complete this Digital Educational Program will receive one free ticket to a performance of The Actors' Gang - The New Colossus and access to a cast talkback, *possibly* featuring Director Tim Robbins (Mystic River, The Shawshank Redemption).
This Digital Education Program is intended for high school students in grades 11 & 12, college students and above due to content. Priority will be given to Title I schools. Tickets will be issued for the Thursday, February 20, 2020 performance of The Actors’ Gang - The New Colossus at 7:30 pm at The Moore Theatre (1932 Second Ave, Seattle WA 98101). If interested, please register no later than January 27, 2020.
ABOUT THE SHOW
In The Actors' Gang - The New Colossus, 12 actors from all over the world are telling their ancestors’ stories in 12 different languages and 12 different eras, all woven into a single narrative about escaping an oppressive homeland, drawn to the beacon above Ellis Island. An intensely physical production, with live music, poetry and kinetic movement, The Actors' Gang - The New Colossus is an homage to the strength, resilience, and dignity of the immigrants and refugees that risked their lives to find a better life.
Languages spoken in the show: Turkish, Malay, German, Vietnamese, English, Spanish, Finnish, Hungarian, Russian, Persian, and more.
- Liaisons are the group leader(s) that see and work with students directly and on a regular basis. Liaisons will serve as the main contact with STG.
- Liaisons will be provided a free ticket to chaperone for the day of the performance.
- In preparation of the show, educators/liaisons are required to watch 1/3 of the show via YouTube.
DIGITAL EDUCATION PROJECT: JOURNEY SO CLOSE
All students attending the performance will need to complete the DIGITAL EDUCATION PROJECT: JOURNEY SO CLOSE.
- Students will research their own ancestral stories or a story they find fascinating around immigration and/or refugees.
- Students will write a 1-page essay on their research.
- Students will create & film a piece of art inspired by their Journey So Close essay. The project should be completed in one of the following forms:
Students' projects will be shared via STG social media & website.
PROGRAM TIMELINEJanuary 27, 2020
- Liaison reaches out to STG for program participation program.
- Spreadsheet with list of students & chaperones due.
- Photo release due.
- All assignments need to be submitted electronically .
- Attend The Actors’ Gang -The New Colossus Groups should arrive at The Moore Theatre by 7:00 pm.
- Talkback is available for full audience after the show. *Tim Robbins is requested for this specific talkback.
- Show runs for 90 minutes. Talkback will be approximately 30 minutes.
**Please block off 2 hours for the event.
SAMPLE OF TIMELINE FOR AN EVENT
DAY OF EVENT
6:30 pm - Arrive to the venue
6:30 - 7:00 pm - Schools check in and collect their tickets (* through the main doors on the right hand side). Please look for signage. Don’t be late!
7:15 pm - All Schools get seated
7:30 pm - 9:20 pm - Show
9:30 - 10:00 pm - Talkback (based on availability)
PAST DIGITAL EDUCATION PROJECTS:
LA HISTORIA VERDADERA FROM JOHN LEGUIZAMO’S LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS
Students researched a Latinx historical figure, wrote an essay on that figure, and created a piece of art inspired by their essay. Students that completed the LA HISTORIA VERDADERA project, were given one free ticket to the Latin History for Morons performance at The Moore Theatre and invited to special talkback with Mr. John Leguizamo. Art pieces were shared via STG social media. Projects can be viewed here.
POWER TO INSPIRE FROM BROADWAY’S DEAR EVAN HANSEN
Power to Inspire required students to create a piece of art inspired by one of Dear Evan Hansen’s songs titled “You Will Be Found.” Students were asked to listen to the song, document their initial thoughts and feelings, write a poem or letter based on those reactions, and then create a piece of digital art inspired by their writing. Projects were shared on STG’s social media and can be viewed here.
We are currently working on next season and will update schools via email about upcoming shows. Another way to get updates is by following us:
Calendar of Events: https://www.stgpresents.org/education/calendar
Weekly Email: sign up to receive STG's eNews here!