Education & Community Programs > STG's Songwriters Lab
“You gave me the chance to have the first actual week of summer doing something that I love the most and it made me so happy! I couldn't have been happier in such a warm, welcoming and artistic environment!”- STG's Songwriters Lab Participant, Age 17
“I learned to take risks in songwriting and expose myself, even if it made me vulnerable.” - STG's Songwriters Lab Participant, Age 14
Sign Up for STG’s Songwriters Lab (Remix)
STG's Songwriters Lab is going online this summer!
Join us Mondays and Thursdays from June 29 - July 30, 2020!
Sessions run from 12 pm to 1:30 pm both days.
Mondays: Guest Songwriter Speaker Sessions
Thursdays: Open Mic! with Mentor & Peer Feedback
Registration is required!
Donation-based series (estimated value of $100, based on $10/session for 10 sessions)
About STG’s Songwriters Lab (Remix)
STG’s Songwriters Lab (Remix) is for aspiring musicians (ages 14 - 21) who are interested in pursuing their artistic vision as songwriters and lyricists. Professional multi-genre songwriters will share their journeys, processes, and answer questions. Participants will also get the chance to share their personal songs for peer and mentor feedback in an encouraging, fun, and connected open mic format. All styles of music are welcome!
MONDAY sessions will be feature a different professional musician and songwriter.
These artists will:
- share their artistic journeys
- demonstrate their writing process
- answer your questions about songwriting and the music business
THURSDAY sessions allow you to share your songs!
In a fun, Open Mic format, you’ll get the chance to:
- share songs you’re working on
- receive feedback from Songwriters Lab’s lead mentor and peers
- explore new vocabulary around the craft of songwriting
- get tools, writing exercises, and tips to improve your songs
Participants are encouraged to sign up for all Songwriter Sessions and Open Mics, as each week will build on the previous sessions.
Past mentors + guest speakers include:
- Justin Davis – lead mentor
- Matt Cameron - Pearl Jam & Soundgarden Drummer
- Andrew Joslyn - composer, violinist
- Andrew Vait - singer-songwriter, Sisters band
- Jill Wangsgard - lead mentor
- Whitney Mongé - singer-songwriter
- Dumi Maraire - hip-hop artist, producer
- Sue Ennis - songwriter for Heart
- Bernadette Bascom - vocal & performance coach
- Choklate - R&B artist
- Shelby Earl - singer-songwriter
- Duff McKagan - bass player for Guns N' Roses & Walking Papers
- John Roderick - indie rock artist
- Ricardo Frazer - Zakirose Media, Sir Mix-a-lot Manager
- Piece Kelley - hip-hop/spoken word artist
- Michael Shrieve - former drummer with Santana
- Catherine Harris-White - SassyBlack, hip hop/ DJ
- Hollis Wong-Wear - vocalist
- Andrew Joslyn - violinist & composer
- Kris Orlowski - singer-songwriter
- Faustine Hudson - drummer
- Navid Eliot - bass
- Plus other guest artists!
STG's Songwriters Lab is sponsored by: