In our rapidly changing city, the urgency to protect the historic buildings that define Seattle’s heritage has escalated. The Neptune Theatre (1921) is the only survivor of five University District theaters built during the silent film era. Your help is needed to breathe new life into this Seattle Historic Landmark!
Throughout the Neptune’s 97-year history, its interior has experienced extensive restorations, including a major overhaul in 2011 when STG began leasing the theatre. In contrast, the deteriorating marquee has only had periodic critical repairs. The current marquee is at least 70 years old and is in a state of decline.
• Rust - The steel is rusted through in some areas.
• Rain - Water routinely leaks into the sign, threatening electronics and regularly blowing transformers, causing costly repairs.
• Safety Hazard & Damage - Buses and oversized vehicles on 45th Street have scraped and collided with the marquee many times over the years, endangering staff members who change out the letters on the sign and damaging the marquee.
Seattle’s Landmark Preservation Board gave STG the green light to replace the marquee with a historically accurate digital replica of the original design.
• Safety First - The analog marquee letters will be replaced with a digital screen that will replicate the appearance of an analog sign. Digitizing the sign ensures the safety of staff members since it allows them to change the sign remotely.
• Steer Clear of Traffic - The new sign will be slightly flatter near the street in order to keep it clear of oversized vehicles.
• Restore Original Design - Thanks to the discovery of a historic photo of the theatre, the new marquee will model the original design with scalloping in the center and on the sides, and NEPTUNE lettering atop the sign with a trident running through the last E.
A key component of STG’s mission is to safeguard the legacies of the historic Paramount, Moore, and Neptune Theatres. Replacing The Neptune’s marquee is integral to maintaining a thriving venue for future generations of theatre-goers. STG has contracted the same sign company that replaced the Paramount upright sign to design, build, and install the Neptune digital marquee.
Two anonymous donors have committed $250,000 and we aim to raise $50,000 from individual donors to complete the build of the new marquee. And the clock is ticking! It’s imperative that we install the marquee before the rains set in.
Would you consider joining them and making a gift to help us replace the Neptune marquee?
BENEFITS OF GIVING
If you make a gift prior to August 31, 2018, you will receive the following benefits:
All donors will receive STAGES, STG’s monthly supporter newsletter with insider news, special invitations, and more. STG’s annual donor party (benefit at $1,000+) will be held in summer of 2019; invitations to be mailed.
If you would like to waive benefits, please indicate so in the Comments section on the donation page.