Education & Community Programs > Sensory-Friendly + Inclusive Performances
Photo Credit: Christopher Nelson and Virginia Rodriguez
WHAT IS A SENSORY-FRIENDLY PERFORMANCE?
Sensory-friendly performances are designed to provide a supportive and judgment-free environment for people affected by sensory processing challenges so they may enjoy the shared experience of live theatre.
• ASL available for this performance
• Lower sound level
• Lights remain on at a low level in the theatre during the performance
• A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience
• Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance
• Designated quiet and activity areas within the theatre
• Space throughout the theatre for standing and movement
• Guidance and sensory supports (fidgets, earplugs, noise cancelling ear-muffs) available in the lobby before the show
• Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show
• Use of tablets, smart phones, and other electronic devices can be used with headphones during the performance
• Extra staff and volunteer support
• STG staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to families' needs
• Specialized therapists will be assigned to every floor to support families in need
Please check back for more information. We will update this page as more details are confirmed. Thank you!
WHAT IS AN INCLUSIVE PERFORMANCE?
An inclusive performance is a welcoming space for all patrons with or without neurodivergent needs. No patron will be asked to leave the performance due to sound, movement or behaviors related to differing cognitive/developmental abilities. This will be a judgement-free environment.
- Designated quiet and activity area within the theatre
- Guidance and sensory supports (fidgets, earplugs, noise cancelling ear-muffs) available in the lobby before the show
- Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show
- STG staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to families' needs
- Specialized therapist will be assigned to your seat section.
Dan + Claudia Sensory-Friendly Streamed Concert
May 24 - June 4, 2021
Seattle Theatre Group is pleased to offer this free concert to families that have attended our previous sensory-friendly performances. This concert will be available on demand from May 24 - June 4, 2021. Grammy award winning children’s performer Dan Zanes and Haitian-American music therapist / jazz vocalist Claudia Zanes have been making music with each other since the day they met in the fall of 2016. The two decided while sitting at Dan’s kitchen table that afternoon that they would continue singing together and, in the spirit of progress and inclusion, would work with presenters to try and make all of their concerts sensory-friendly.
Registration coming soon!